Re: Ensuring that a daemon runs as a single instance

Pascal Bourguignon <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you want to avoid the file system, you can use some IPC to do it.

That's the bit that I am trying to learn.

> - Using a semaphore identified by an "absolute" key,

Ok, I will read up on this. Is there a simple example somewhere?

> Since in general you need some means to communicate with the daemon
> anyways, the presence of the mean of communication indicates the
> presence of the daemon.

Thats the next bit that I wish to learn.

I would like to use some sort of shared memory to communicate with the daemon,
as opposed to sockets.

Regards,

Mark.

--