Re: Ensuring that a daemon runs as a single instance

Pascal Bourguignon <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you want to avoid the file system, you can use some IPC to do it.

That's the bit that I am trying to learn.

> - Using a semaphore identified by an "absolute" key,

Ok, I will read up on this. Is there a simple example somewhere?

> Since in general you need some means to communicate with the daemon
> anyways, the presence of the mean of communication indicates the
> presence of the daemon.

Thats the next bit that I wish to learn.

I would like to use some sort of shared memory to communicate with the daemon,
as opposed to sockets.

Regards,

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
393 Quinton Road West

Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
International: 0044 121 247 1596

http://markhobley.yi.org/

  • Re: Ensuring that a daemon runs as a single instance
    ... multiple instances trying to update simultaneously. ... invoke multiple instances of the daemon. ... Mark Hobley ... 393 Quinton Road West ...
    (comp.unix.programmer)
  • Objective C: Interprocess Communication
    ... A daemon (main prog is creating an object --> daemon: ... - On client connect the server will ... loop doing database lookups (that's why I want to put this object in a ... The daemon should be able to communicate with this new object running ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Ensuring that a daemon runs as a single instance
    ... >> If you want to avoid the file system, you can use some IPC to do it. ... >> presence of the daemon. ... > I would like to use some sort of shared memory to communicate with the daemon, ... The best is the socket, since when the process exists or is killed, ...
    (comp.unix.programmer)
  • Re: send/receive
    ... I read some topics about send/receive overthere, ... What I want to do is just simple "daemon" that will ... communicate with FS, well I wanna implement few testing stuff in FS ... Does it mean i need to hack kernel.c code to add my daemon to be ...
    (comp.os.minix)