Re: Usage of va_list

In article <1167248430.442220.85840@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
David Schwartz <davids@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

Better use the ffcall library which allows you to build variable call
frames. http://www.haible.de/bruno/packages-ffcall.html

If that's the package I think it is, I don't like it. You never know
when a new version of the system is going to change the way call frames
are laid out. You never know when you're going to need to port to an OS
it doesn't support. In this case, there's a 100% portable way to do it,
so why use non-portable "knows the internals of your ABI" code?

Yes, that's the standard, dogmatically religious position. Not really
appropriate here, but, hey, take it down the hall to comp.lang.c, where
they just love this sort of thing. (Talk about "your act playing in
Peoria!")

In the real world, ffcall is really good and useful. Highly recommended.

Also, their is no "portable" ("clc approved") way to do what ffcall
does, so your statement that "Don't do it that way when you can do it
portably" is wrong in general - although it might be correct in the
instant case. I haven't followed this thread closely enough (read: I've
long since given up on trying to intuit the motives/actual-problems of
newsgroup help-seekers) to know one way or the other.

  • CTAN update: BeamerSubFrame
    ... Reordering frames in the PDF file without reordering the source ... The Beamer SubFrame package provides a method to reorder frames in the ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • CTAN update: flowfram
    ... Create text frames for posters, ... Added new package options: ... Changed the following package options to boolean key=value ... New commands to make it easier to switch frames on and off ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • CTAN submission: beameraudience
    ... The Beamer Audience package provides macros to easily assemble frames ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • CTAN Update: flowfram
    ... Create text frames for posters, brochures or magazines ... Fixed new bug introduced by bug fix in v1.15 related to lists ... This package is located at ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • CTAN update: framed
    ... Summary description: Update to framed package: frames, shading, etc ... documentation holding it back from release. ... catalogue repository. ...
    (comp.text.tex)