Re: How can I write hard-to-find bugs???

Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

"Lucas J. Riesau" <ion_sphere@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

I want to write a few programs with hard-to-find bugs,
so that those who're going to debug the programs
will become insane.

How can I write hard-to-find bugs???

The easiest way would be to use threads and global variables (and only
that, no semaphore, no condition, no mutex, etc).

Or better, throw in a semaphore, post it accidentally in some obscure
situation (e.g. error condition), and have this result in a hardware
lockup. Yes, I had to debug one of those just last week.

Troll group removed.

--
Måns Rullgård
mans@xxxxxxxxx

  • Re: How can I write hard-to-find bugs???
    ... Lucas J. Riesau wrote: ... so that those who're going to debug the programs ... will become insane. ... How can I write hard-to-find bugs??? ...
    (comp.unix.programmer)
  • Re: How can I write hard-to-find bugs???
    ... Matthias Buelow writes: ... so that those who're going to debug the programs ... will become insane. ... How can I write hard-to-find bugs??? ...
    (comp.unix.programmer)
  • Re: How to locate the SEM_ID a task is blocked on?
    ... > I'm trying to debug a system with about 50+ tasks. ... > on a semaphore, which is not the expected behavior. ... holding this lock is not releasing it. ... locking/unlocking attempts for this particluar sempahore. ...
    (comp.os.vxworks)
  • How to locate the SEM_ID a task is blocked on?
    ... I'm trying to debug a system with about 50+ tasks. ... on a semaphore, which is not the expected behavior. ... the semShow and semInfo routines but both require knowning the SEM_ID ... Is a reverse lookup possible (i.e a way to obtain the ...
    (comp.os.vxworks)
  • Re: How to locate the SEM_ID a task is blocked on?
    ... I'm trying to debug a system with about 50+ tasks. ... > indefintely on a semaphore, which is not the expected behavior. ... Why would vxWorks keep ... I never did give anybody hell. ...
    (comp.os.vxworks)