Re: advices on sockets

1/ open the display
2/ create a thread to catch x-event and manipulate the framebuffer
accordingly (zoom in...)
3/ create a thread that "accept" new connections
4/ each connection starts a thread that listen to what's coming in on
that connection

It would be ok but I was hoping for something simpler... I don't want
that x-window/server app to use too much memory and CPU cycles to
leave as much processing power for the graphics app...

Why not use a UDP based message passing. In that way you don't have to
handle several threads for each connection. UDP is connectionless.
- the x app opens a socket and listen on it for messages
- the graphic programs send messages to that socket
- the x app processes incoming messages one by one
That MAY do the job in a simple way.

If all your progs run on the same machine you can also consider using
a message queue:
http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Dave/C/node25.html

  • Re: UDP communication within same PC
    ... The information there shows a UDP socket in datagram mode, and that socket is not bound to any interface, including not to the localhost interface As it has a local port, that port number is the UDP port to which you would *send* packets for the socket to receive them, and it is not the port number towards which it is sending any data. ... Either the creating program intended the socket to be a pure UDP datagram socket, or else the socket is in the state of listening for connections via listen, with the remote address and remote port to be filled in when a connection is created to it. ... We see from the statistics that there does appear to have been non-trivial traffic transmitted on the socket and none received, which argues for the interpretation that the creating program is operating the socket in pure datagram mode. ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • RE: ASP.NET 2.0 - a newbie question
    ... I try to build the first app described in "ASP.NET 2.0 Everyday Apps ... the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. ... A connection attempt failed because the ... connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& ...
  • Re: Multiple closed networks and UDP. Please help me.
    ... Each of the three computers will be in its own closed network. ... I have worked with TCP many times, but never UDP. ... When I open a socket to receive one UDP socket stream do I ... I believe that the TCP connection will be assigned based on the IP address. ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: Internet connection through PC
    ... You can craft your code to force your UDP traffic through a connection other ... You need to bind your socket to the IP of your GPRS adapter. ... > while keeping the eVC4 debug capability alive. ...
  • Re: How to uniquely identify a UDP session at Winsock layer?
    ... For UDP, once a send is done, the socket will be auto-bound if it has not ... > Theoretically, I guess, a connection or session in uniquely identified ... > by "Source IP, Source port, Destination IP, Destination port". ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer.networking)