Re: the ~ after the file names

In article <1157252650.300657.227380@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"claudwilcox@xxxxxxxxx" <claudwilcox@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Safe to delete them if the same named file (without the ~) exists.
I'm guessing you're using emacs to edit your files, and it leaves (an
annoying) backup copy of the file.

Yes, you are correct, I am using emacs.

Does the filename~ version auto-save itself every x minutes, or only
automatically when a user quits editing?

When you save the file, it renames the original file to filename~.

This is separate from the auto-save feature, which periodically saves
your work to #filename#.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Arlington, MA

  • Re: Great SWT Program
    ... None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are at ... but that's not what emacs is. ... multiple top-level windows, ... over and over again for each instance you need to do an edit near. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • how to edit a file as admin
    ... Another little emacs tip. ... The tip is about how to edit files that ... you want to edit a file that requires admin privilege. ...
    (comp.emacs)
  • Emacs too slow for casual editing [was Re: Formatting Posts With VI]
    ... > postponed post is just not fast enough. ... And besides, Emacs isn't the ... > right tool if all one wants to do is edit a file, ... > time one logs into the system and be closed when one logs out of the ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Running an application more than once
    ... It is up to the program developer to ... developers for Emacs rather explicitly recommend the opposite. ... You edit one file and then exit the editor. ... and do all your editing in the same Emacs session. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Tcl Cross Platform Editors - your top five.
    ... I can't compile Vim on some of these ... platforms for various reasons and Vi is not sufficient. ... Emacs is the best and should compile and or have packages for all ... If you can ssh into a box then you can edit ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)