Re: LOGIN: ERROR-Failed to initialize policy manager

From: David Font (dave.font_at_systime.co.nz)
Date: 05/20/03

    Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 15:41:06 +1200

    I struck the same problem with the ifor_pmd when a 92-user 5.0.2 system kept
    giving this error message when the 67th user logged on. I came to the
    conclusion that when I originally increased the user-count by 25 to bring it
    up to 92 users, the automatic tuning facility in 5.0.2 does not increase
    operating system resources at the required rate.At the 67th user it fell
    over.

    I solved this by running /etctunek in single user mode. There is a good
    technical article which helped me fix this. Try option5 in technical article
    http://stage.caldera.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?104851.shtml

    I tuned for 100 users and I would suggest you do the same i.e. /etc/tunek -l
    user -n 100

    Dave

    "John Clarke" <jclarke@premierstateliner.com.au> wrote in message
    > I have just completed a fresh install of SCO 5.0.2 with a 32 User
    Enterprise
    > System, Development System, and 2 x 25 user add on licenses.
    >
    > I continually receive the message above when the 58th user attempts to
    > login.
    >
    > I have read T/A 140851 re this message and tried all suggestions but the
    > problem persists.
    >
    > Interestingly I can fix it by killing the child ifor_pmd process. When
    this
    > process restarts the system recognises the 2nd 25 user add on and all is
    ok.

    > But when I restart the system, this problem reoccurs with the only fix
    being
    > to kill off this process again and wait for it to be recreated.
    >
    > I have checked my /pmd directory immediately after a restart when the
    > problem is present and all correct files are present.
    >
    > # pwd
    > /var/opt/K/SCO/Unix/5.0.2Dp/pmd/pmd
    > # l
    > total 2
    > prwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 May 15 05:03 IPCCT_pipe
    > prwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 May 15 05:03 LST_pipe
    > prwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 May 15 05:03 PMDCT_pipe
    > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3 May 15 05:03 ifor_pmd.pid
    >
    > I then kill the child ifor_pmd process;
    > # ps -ef|grep ifor_pmd|grep -v grep
    > root 40 1 0 05:03:12 ? 00:00:00 /etc/ifor_pmd
    > root 41 40 0 05:03:12 ? 00:00:01 /etc/ifor_pmd
    > # kill 41
    >
    > Checking the /pmd dir again;
    >
    > # l
    > total 2
    > prwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 May 15 09:02 IPCCT_pipe
    > prwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 May 15 09:02 LST_pipe
    > prwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 May 15 09:02 PMDCT_pipe
    > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5 May 15 09:02 ifor_pmd.pid
    >
    > No changes!!! Only the pid number of the child process. But now the 2nd 25
    > user license is recognised.
    >
    > I am totally lost on this one.
    >
    > Can anyone offer a suggestion.
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation,
    >
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > John Clarke

    • Re: Tech Help
      ... I disconnected the Slam Tilt wires and restart the ... machine but I still get the error message. ... How do I fix this? ...
      (rec.games.pinball)
    • Re: Tech Help
      ... I disconnected the Slam Tilt wires and restart the ... machine but I still get the error message. ... How do I fix this? ...
      (rec.games.pinball)
    • read/write error 40
      ... I have a G3 Powerbook running OS 9.2.2 and using Outlook ... so I had to force a restart. ... I tried a couple of things to fix it: ... tried looking up the error message in Mactopia and Microsoft ...
      (microsoft.public.internet.outlookexpress.mac)
    • The Remote Procedure Call (RPC) terminated unexpectedly
      ... I am getting a System Shutdown error message very ... and I don't know how to fix this problem. ... "Windows must now restart because ...
    • Re: Non-constant constant strings
      ... You fix the bug in memory, but it doesn't get back into the source ... memory, resulting in the source code and binary executable being in sync. ... instruction pointer to the test, ... data being tested is no longer valid, etc., requiring a restart. ...
      (comp.lang.c)