telnet not connecting to SCO OSVR 5.0.7

mushroom_xxx_at_hotmail.com
Date: 01/11/05

Date: 11 Jan 2005 07:46:14 -0800

I am unable to connect to a remote system with telnet to which I
previously had access.

The message received after issuing a "telnet sever-ip-address" command
is:

Trying "sever-ip-address"
Connected to "server-ip-address"
Escape character is '^]'
Connection closed by foreign host.

A second attempt gives the following messages:

Trying "sever-ip-address"
Connected to "server-ip-address"
Escape character is '^]'

Sorry, unable to access input device
Connection closed by foreign host.

I tried clearing out the utmp wtmp utmpx wtmpx files in the /etc
directory and rebooting the server (a strategy that worked yesterday)
but it did not help today.

This condition seems to have started when one of our supervisors
telnetted into the server successfully and hit one of the arrow keys.
This put her into a strange telnet mode with a "->" prompt. After that,
no one else could telnet into the server.

Stan

Relevant Pages

  • Re: inetd to take telnet request
    ... flavours of TELNET here - so I read on. ... I know about INETD only from long ago with the RS/6000 UNIX, ... server applications" in the CS IP Configuration Guide: ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: Product for Running Embedded C# Application
    ... Telnet sessions or Web sessions with our Web server on the device and a lot ... There's a Telnet server available to Windows CE ... communicates with specific hardware and forwards data to a back end ...
  • Re: RDP access to SBS 2003 - HELP please
    ... Might I add that 'out of the box', when I first got the server it worked ... of it to the telnet prompt and quit. ... Try the remote desktop connection to see if it works. ... the effect that it can't connect to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 23. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Telnet session "Shell process may not have been launched" (Solution)
    ... this is a feature change in win2k3 server. ... Microsoft Online Partner Support ... >the 2003 Security Guide suggests you disable the service, ... but Telnet won't be functional without it. ...
  • RE: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipie
    ... In your details you are saying to type the following command ... > SMTP telnet session. ... When the issue happens again, in the Exchange Server, please telnet ... > times to close the connection to the server and leave the Telnet session ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)