telnet not connecting to SCO OSVR 5.0.7

mushroom_xxx_at_hotmail.com
Date: 01/11/05

Date: 11 Jan 2005 07:46:14 -0800

I am unable to connect to a remote system with telnet to which I
previously had access.

The message received after issuing a "telnet sever-ip-address" command
is:

Trying "sever-ip-address"
Connected to "server-ip-address"
Escape character is '^]'
Connection closed by foreign host.

A second attempt gives the following messages:

Trying "sever-ip-address"
Connected to "server-ip-address"
Escape character is '^]'

Sorry, unable to access input device
Connection closed by foreign host.

I tried clearing out the utmp wtmp utmpx wtmpx files in the /etc
directory and rebooting the server (a strategy that worked yesterday)
but it did not help today.

This condition seems to have started when one of our supervisors
telnetted into the server successfully and hit one of the arrow keys.
This put her into a strange telnet mode with a "->" prompt. After that,
no one else could telnet into the server.

Stan