Re: popper/corrupt email

Dave Burris wrote:
OSR5.0.7 MP1 & OSR5.0.5
Windows XP Pro SP2
Outlook 2002, Outlook 2003 MP2, and Outlook Express

Two systems in different locations have recently started (last 2 months)
having the same issue, although to varying degrees. The mail files
in /usr/spool/mail are getting corrupt and becoming huge. Some mail files
are becoming corrupt and then grow every time the email client attempts to
pop email from the server. The email header gets duplicated hundreds of
times in the spool file and we sometimes see hundreds of lines of
control-A's (^A^A^A^A). Within a few hours, one or more email files have
grown to 1GB or 2GB.

On the OSR5.0.7 system, we replaced the SCO popper daemon with FacetWin's
fct_pop3d daemon. This fixed the email corruption problem and stopped the
email files from growing, but some users were still getting duplicate messages
(up to 10 or so sometimes). We then tried using the popper daemon from MP5,
but immediately started getting corrupt and growing email files again. Went
back to the fct_pop3d daemon and upgraded the Outlook 2002 clients to Outlook
2003 SP2. This solved both problems. Now, we are not getting duplicates or
corrupted email files.

On the 5.0.5 system, we had the same corruption and growing problem. We
replaced the popper daemon as discussed here from security fix ERG712033:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.sco.misc/browse_thread/thread/4949e1d8c0671641/974a6eb3121a9e61?lnk=gst&q=%5EA%5EA%5EA%5EA+corrupt&rnum=1#974a6eb3121a9e61
They were not having the problem very often, so it is hard to say if this
worked, but no problems for a 4 days.

Both of these locations had been running for a couple of years with no
problems. No apparent virus infections or network issues. We have been
trying to determine what might have changed recently at either location to
cause this issue but have not come up with anything.

Has anyone else had this issue lately? Any ideas what causes the corruption
and file growth?

We too have clients that have been slammed by this in the last 2 weeks.
No solution that I know of. This was the catalyst to move them to a
different method of getting mail...

Fabio

  • popper/corrupt email
    ... Outlook 2002, Outlook 2003 MP2, and Outlook Express ... in /usr/spool/mail are getting corrupt and becoming huge. ... one or more email files have ... we replaced the SCO popper daemon with FacetWin's ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • RE: Cant see all files in Outlook Express
    ... Outlook Express has a limit of 2GB... ... too much and the file will become corrupt or inaccessible due to it's size. ... There are repair tools available to assist you to fix corrupted files. ... I've posted your question and my answer on the Microsoft forum so others may ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: Corrupt email
    ... but you'll have to define "corrupt" to me. ... What version of Outlook are you using? ... > corrupt email shows up and I have to do it again. ... >> Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.general)
  • Re: Problems with export of mails with Outlook 97
    ... it will be corrupt beyond repair. ... That is one of many reason we advise against exporting and importing to ... transfer Outlook data. ... >>> thus the failure message may not be exactly wordwise). ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)
  • >>>> SAVE EMAIL <<<<
    ... How To Save Outlook Email Folders ... Save Lotus Notes Email Files ... Save Email Without Attachments Outlook ... Save Email Messages Visual Basic ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)