Unremovable files.

OSR 5.0.6/506a

There is a directory for which 'ls -l' prints scores of entries that all
look like this:

l: ./8_7732.trc not found: No such file or directory (error 2)

We can't seem to get rid of them; none of 'rm', 'rm -fr', or 'unlink'
do anything. 'fsck -o full -y' did nothing about them either.

What's the appropriate hammer for this nail?

--
JP
==> http://www.frappr.com/cusm <==

  • Re: Unremovable files.
    ... There is a directory for which 'ls -l' prints scores of entries that all ... 'fsck -o full -y' did nothing about them either. ... Or zero out the bad directory entries with fsdb... ... John DuBois spcecdt@xxxxxxxxxx KC6QKZ/AE http://www.armory.com/~spcecdt/ ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: Unremovable files.
    ... | OSR 5.0.6/506a ... | There is a directory for which 'ls -l' prints scores of entries that all ... | What's the appropriate hammer for this nail? ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • what fsck can (and cant) do was Re: [patch] ext2/3: document conditions when reliable operation is p
    ... but that it doesn't protect against this class of problem. ... from this discussin there appears to be confusion/disagreement over what fsck does and what the results of not running it are. ... finds entries where multiple files share data blocks and duplicates the data to seperate them ... but if a fsck does not get run on a filesystem that has been damaged, what additional damage can be done? ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Restoring inode information
    ... that the directory inode whose entries yu are viewing is corrupted ... > I guess the inode information is corrupted. ... > fsck, because I'm afraid it will do more harm then good? ... for certain, and that may or may not be mended by a fsck, but no harm ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: fsck pass in vstab
    ... Directory /export/home has fsck pass 2 ... Everything other than the root file system is normally set to '2'. ... it scans the vfstab entries. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)