Re: Call for input on comp.unix.shell FAQ

From: Stephane CHAZELAS (stephane_chazelas_at_yahoo.fr)
Date: 07/17/03

Date: 17 Jul 2003 17:46:06 GMT

Ben wrote:
[...]
> Then you really need to define "shell programming" and distinguish that
> from other scripts that are written.

Shell programming is writing application in shell "language".
What's your definition?

A single command line as typed at prompt may be considered as a
"shell application". Rule of thumb would be: past 50 lines for
an application, you'd better consider another language.

--
Stéphane

Relevant Pages

  • [OT] Re: Few points to consider
    ... A shell actually has a dual aspect, and it is probably sensible to ... As a control language it allows: ... * Quick creation of scripts for automating tasks, ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Re: TRUE is 0 is FALSE
    ... explain that, in C, values which compare equal to zero are "false" and values ... We all know that the formal language is written extra formally ... The point of a statement like "to the shell, an exit status of zero is true, ... and a non-zero exit status is false" is to help the reader use existing ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Re: BIND segway -> python -> first-class ports
    ... Even nicer would be if the shell could do it internally so you didn't have to re-parse it all the time but it's a start:) ... of shell as being a "weak" language. ... The real power is not in shell, the real power is in POSIX. ... I'm actually a bit worried that Python and Lua don't have the reach that C does, ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: Reintroducing fish, the friendly interactive shell
    ... between shell variables and environment variables. ... A shell may incidentally be a scripting language, ... I think the fish design fulfills the requirements of a shell ... But according to Wikipedia "A macro language ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Re: How to convert Infix notation to postfix notation
    ... When you can suggest a better language for kernels, ... I'm not super excellent at any of those, although I'm pretty good at shell, ... and certainly competent in lua and perl. ...
    (comp.lang.c)