Re: Sleep freezing

From: Bill Marcum (bmarcum_at_iglou.com)
Date: 08/11/03

    Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:34:42 -0400

    On 11 Aug 2003 10:49:05 -0700, Tom
      <beagleboythefirst@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > I read the man page for exec and still dont fully understand what it
    > does.
    >
    > Quote ->
    > This command treats its arguments as the specification of
    > one or more subprocesses to execute. The arguments take the
    > form of a standard shell pipeline where each arg becomes one
    > word of a command, and each distinct command becomes a sub-
    > process.
    >
    > When it says that the arguments take the form of a standard shell
    > pipeline does that mean that each seperate command has to be seperated
    > by a pipe symbol. Also it says that each command is executed in a
    > subprocess. When you execute a command from the shell is it not the
    > inherent behaviour that the command is executed as a subprocess?

    The man page describes the exec system call. Read your shell's man page
    for a description of the exec shell command.

    • Re: Sleep freezing
      ... >> man exec. ... > form of a standard shell pipeline where each arg becomes one ... > word of a command, and each distinct command becomes a sub- ... The word "execute" means to replace the program running in the calling ...
      (comp.unix.shell)
    • Re: du command failing
      ... directory if the directory does not have a Read or Execute permission. ... From UNIX command line i have executed 'du' command. ... From [exec] manpage: ...
      (comp.lang.tcl)
    • RE: COMMAND field of TSO LOGON panel
      ... The issue is that the logon proc being executed directly launches into ISPF, ... If you exit ISPF, allow the exec to run, then reenter ISPF ... COMMAND field of TSO LOGON panel ... However,it didn't execute it. ...
      (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
    • Re: exec() gives output??
      ... > I'd like to execute a command on the server ... > particular command takes a long time to execute, ... A successful call to exec() replaces the Perl script with whatever execis ...
      (comp.lang.perl.misc)
    • Re: wScript.Shell Problems
      ... the completion of the underlying process. ... However, the Exec procedure is ... Here is why i went to the RUN command, it is my understanding that the ... EXEC command does not allow for the BOOLEAN indicating wether the ...
      (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)