Re: sed: backreference in substitution does not work as expected

From: Ronald Fischer (ronaldf_at_eml.cc)
Date: 12/30/03

Date: 30 Dec 2003 00:51:54 -0800

Chris Mattern <syscjm@gwu.edu> wrote in message news:<3FF0762B.10908@gwu.edu>...
> In sed
> REs, if you wish parentheses to be metacharacters,
> you must escape them with backslashes.

Thanks, that was it!

Ronald

Relevant Pages

  • Re: pygame music, cant read mp3?
    ... format is to use backslashes as separators, ... escaped in python's regular string literals, ... only because you've been lucky in not having escape characters following ... Notice that the \ gets doubled automatically by python in many ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: get only filenames and not directory names under a specific path.
    ... > I'm guess maybe it's must do that when it's double quotes. ... but with two exceptions: the escape character itself ... the string delimiter can also be escaped to allow embedded single quotes, ... means that a path with a trailing backslash needs two backslashes there to avoid ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • Re: Reading Text Files
    ... Did not your compiler generate some mandatory diagnostics on ... escape sequences invoking undefined behaviour. ... the OP is not using C99. ... because backslashes are escape characters in ISO C. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Another Printing Question
    ... that backslashes inside string literals must not be escaped in VB.NET. ... Someone suggested that I escape them. ... but that's nonsense for VB.NET -- are you sure you are using ... got me rid of that filenotfound exception at that time. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb)
  • Re: TR 24731 approved
    ... Can't you just escape all question marks with backslashes, the same way you have to escape quotation marks and backslashes? ...
    (comp.std.c)