Re: find and replace strange characters

From: Paul Jarc (prj_at_po.cwru.edu)
Date: 09/28/04

Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 21:35:10 -0400

Rick <inkswamp@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'd love to write a shell script to run through each night's web
> pages and replace those characters with the proper HTML code for
> bullets (&#8226;) but I'm not sure how to isolate what Unix is
> seeing when it "sees" these characters.

Open one of those files in your text editor and remove everything but
one of the garbage characters. Then add this around it:
s/garbage/\&#8226;/g
Make a similar line for each of the other kinds of garbage
characters. (If any of them comprise multiple bytes, and one of them
is "/", thne you can use a different character for the three
separators within the line.) Save this to a new file fixhtml.sed, and
then run:
$ sed -f fixhtml.sed < quarkxpressfile > file.html
to create the HTML file.

paul

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Scandinavian characters
    ... If you have a filename with a space in it, you can not trust in shell script. ... It is easier to update by new characters. ... So far I have never paid any attention to this, because I myself don't use local characters in filenames. ... Still, I'm going to sit down and learn this thing, because some sunny day someone might ask me to get hold of a battleship class system and I wouldn't like to make this mistake. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: How to get RSSI in to a c++ program
    ... A bit crude but you could alter the shell script to write the RSSI value ... In this example I am cutting out the characters ... Then run the shell script using the library function system (see man ... Then read the file using fopen/fread or whatever file accessor you ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: how to determine file descriptors of a running process?
    ... Depending on what you really want: ... I gave the following shell script: ... That tests whether the value of $file (i.e., the filename) contains ... any characters, not whether the file it points to is not empty. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: grabbing a facebook group
    ... use strict; ... use warnings; ... Because your system is trying to run a shell script instead of perl. ... characters are *not* #!, then the code will be run by your shell. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • How do I test a string to see if contains invalid characters
    ... I am writing a shell script that needs to validate user input. ... I have created a function to test for A-Za-z and '-' characters. ...
    (comp.unix.shell)