Ignoring PIPE signals

From: Gyruss (gyruss_at_hushmail.com)
Date: 01/17/05

    Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:03:41 +1100

    Dear all,

    I have a long running ksh database script that's launched via a gui. Soon
    after putting everything together, I noticed that if I closed the gui while
    the script was running, the script died too. This was undesirable, so I set
    a trap to ignore the PIPE signal in the script, which works perfectly - now
    when I kill the front end, the script continues running without a
    controlling terminal.

    My question is, is this inherently bad? Is it acceptable just to ignore the
    PIPE signal and do nothing else? (perhaps I should redirect stdout & stderr
    to /dev/null ???)

    • Re: Possible bug in Exchange GUI (Exchange System Manager.msc)
      ... Connection settings for SMTP server. ... Script that I used for changing settings and reading them ... And GUI ...
      (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
    • Re: how do you test GUI functionality?
      ... (CART; Classic is the name of the application). ... I have one script which tests handing off control from one GUI to ... # Returns a script to push a specified button in a GUI. ...
      (comp.lang.tcl)
    • Re: GUI v Script
      ... > I maintain an old system which has a locally developed script interface. ... > faster with a CLI than a GUI, particularly if the GUI is like Windows, ... with both programming skills and subject matter knowledge. ...
      (comp.object)
    • Possible bug in Exchange GUI (Exchange System Manager.msc)
      ... I’m writing this because I think I found one small bug in Exchange GUI. ... Connection settings for SMTP server. ... Manager.msc on first server and iis.msc on second server. ... First I used script to target settings for SmtpSvc/1 ...
      (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
    • Re: Monitor GUI
      ... I currently have a simple little Perl script whose job is to listen on ... a TCL window. ... red when we've gotten an error message. ... GUI never gets created. ...
      (comp.lang.perl.tk)