Ignoring PIPE signals

From: Gyruss (gyruss_at_hushmail.com)
Date: 01/17/05

    Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:03:41 +1100

    Dear all,

    I have a long running ksh database script that's launched via a gui. Soon
    after putting everything together, I noticed that if I closed the gui while
    the script was running, the script died too. This was undesirable, so I set
    a trap to ignore the PIPE signal in the script, which works perfectly - now
    when I kill the front end, the script continues running without a
    controlling terminal.

    My question is, is this inherently bad? Is it acceptable just to ignore the
    PIPE signal and do nothing else? (perhaps I should redirect stdout & stderr
    to /dev/null ???)