Re: Where is the history stored (bash)?

> > say for example I wanted to clear my history for my current session
> > only, so that it doesn't end up in ~/.bash_history, how do I?

I think I figured out this part, if you:

unset HISTFILE

the shell will not write to ~/.bash_history when your session
terminates

"If HISTFILE is unset, or if the history file is unwritable, the
history is not saved."
http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bashref.html

  • Re: remove command history
    ... You are looking at a shell feature, ... unset HISTFILE ... history from the current session. ...
    (comp.unix.admin)
  • Re: Newbie: save an interpretation session
    ... editing/interpretation session for next Forth interpreter startup. ... In iForth, every line of input is appended to a history file and all lines ... it on the command line. ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: Common History across Shell
    ... history in file from each session *after* the particular session ... What I wanted was multiple sessions can share history (the ... Shell might behave the normal way (maintain ... done on a specific user action. ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • GP-CVS-V4.1.0 -- no history file?
    ... With V4.0.0 there is a history inside the session and after exit and restart I can access the last commands of the former session via the ... If it is a default feature: I would like to ask: Are there any parameters, which I must set to the new gnuplot 4.1 to obtain the "old" history mechanism? ...
    (comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot)
  • Re: how to disable "unset HISTORY"
    ... Am 16.10.2012 08:52, schrieb Tiziana Manfroni: ... Can I disable the command "unset history"? ...
    (Fedora)