Re: Where is the history stored (bash)?

On 2006-01-23, bob the builder wrote:

>> > say for example I wanted to clear my history for my current session
>> > only, so that it doesn't end up in ~/.bash_history, how do I?
>>

> I think I figured out this part, if you:
>
> unset HISTFILE
>
> the shell will not write to ~/.bash_history when your session
> terminates

That doesn't clear your history; it prevents bash from writing it
to your history file when you log out.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson, author | <http://cfaj.freeshell.org>
2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

  • Re: Newbie: save an interpretation session
    ... editing/interpretation session for next Forth interpreter startup. ... In iForth, every line of input is appended to a history file and all lines ... it on the command line. ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: Common History across Shell
    ... history in file from each session *after* the particular session ... What I wanted was multiple sessions can share history (the ... Shell might behave the normal way (maintain ... done on a specific user action. ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • GP-CVS-V4.1.0 -- no history file?
    ... With V4.0.0 there is a history inside the session and after exit and restart I can access the last commands of the former session via the ... If it is a default feature: I would like to ask: Are there any parameters, which I must set to the new gnuplot 4.1 to obtain the "old" history mechanism? ...
    (comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot)
  • Re: Firefox help.
    ... it had history for the current session only. ... reopened FF I found that it had no history at all but loaded history ... for the current session as the 5 tabbed pages loaded. ... retaining it. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • PyDev not saving Ipython History between sessions
    ... One feature I like about Ipython is that it saves the history between ... session in PyDev. ... Is there a command to load the history when I start ...
    (comp.lang.python)