Re: Variables not passed out of WHILE

In article <7b0pc4-ov1.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Chris F.A. Johnson <cfajohnson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2007-03-15, Kenny McCormack wrote:

P.S. This, incidentally, is a good example (and there are many others)
of why using shell as a general purpose programming language (as opposed
to merely using shell as a "host" for a real language like
AWK/perl/whatever) is a bad idea.

On the contrary, it is a good example of why you need to know the
language you are using. The shell is an excellent general-purpose
programming language (but, perhaps, not an all-purpose programming
language).

I fully expected you to say that. But I think it is wrong.

  • [OT] Re: Few points to consider
    ... A shell actually has a dual aspect, and it is probably sensible to ... As a control language it allows: ... * Quick creation of scripts for automating tasks, ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Re: TRUE is 0 is FALSE
    ... explain that, in C, values which compare equal to zero are "false" and values ... We all know that the formal language is written extra formally ... The point of a statement like "to the shell, an exit status of zero is true, ... and a non-zero exit status is false" is to help the reader use existing ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Re: BIND segway -> python -> first-class ports
    ... Even nicer would be if the shell could do it internally so you didn't have to re-parse it all the time but it's a start:) ... of shell as being a "weak" language. ... The real power is not in shell, the real power is in POSIX. ... I'm actually a bit worried that Python and Lua don't have the reach that C does, ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: Reintroducing fish, the friendly interactive shell
    ... between shell variables and environment variables. ... A shell may incidentally be a scripting language, ... I think the fish design fulfills the requirements of a shell ... But according to Wikipedia "A macro language ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Re: How to convert Infix notation to postfix notation
    ... When you can suggest a better language for kernels, ... I'm not super excellent at any of those, although I'm pretty good at shell, ... and certainly competent in lua and perl. ...
    (comp.lang.c)