Re: elementary grep command

Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Grep serves for other purposes.

Yup. Grep is a easy way to accept (grep) or reject (grep -v) lines.
sed changes lines.
Awk works on columns.

But awk can do much more. It can do grep-like and sed-like commands.
It's a marvelous language. Terse, yet powerful.

Think of it as something that something that is like Excel.

  • Re: General UNIX puzzle
    ... All of those (sed, awk, grep) involve making a copy of the original file ... The gnu shtool is one of the most useful tools for this for in-place ... A Galileo could no more be elected president of the United States than ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: ssh and chroot
    ... ++ echo /bin/mkdir ... ++ awk '' ... ++ grep '^/' ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: The smartest band in the world?
    ... I mainly use grep, but I'm ... going to learn awk and sed and improve my bash scripting. ... Oracle accreditation coure, well in the grad courses at least, everything ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: Difference between Cygwin and DOS handling of string input
    ... Ton of userland tools that make work possible (perl, sed, awk, grep, ... cmd.exe is a shell in that it's a TTY that lets you run commands, ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: The smartest band in the world?
    ... I mainly use grep, but I'm going to learn awk and sed and improve my bash scripting. ... mostly taching Oracle and at the subjects completion you can do the Oracle accreditation coure, well in the grad courses at least, everything seems to have a proprietry product focus. ...
    (alt.guitar)