Re: elementary grep command

Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Grep serves for other purposes.

Yup. Grep is a easy way to accept (grep) or reject (grep -v) lines.
sed changes lines.
Awk works on columns.

But awk can do much more. It can do grep-like and sed-like commands.
It's a marvelous language. Terse, yet powerful.

Think of it as something that something that is like Excel.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: General UNIX puzzle
    ... All of those (sed, awk, grep) involve making a copy of the original file ... The gnu shtool is one of the most useful tools for this for in-place ... A Galileo could no more be elected president of the United States than ...
  • Re: ssh and chroot
    ... ++ echo /bin/mkdir ... ++ awk '' ... ++ grep '^/' ...
  • Re: The smartest band in the world?
    ... I mainly use grep, but I'm ... going to learn awk and sed and improve my bash scripting. ... Oracle accreditation coure, well in the grad courses at least, everything ...
  • Re: Difference between Cygwin and DOS handling of string input
    ... Ton of userland tools that make work possible (perl, sed, awk, grep, ... cmd.exe is a shell in that it's a TTY that lets you run commands, ...
  • Re: I need a custom script to extract data from my web logs.
    ... >> You aren't passing anything to awk and you don't need awk anyway. ... My original script was using awk to output the data by ... > piping the output of the original grep through awk to the printf. ... (i.e. searchlogs log???? ...