Re: Exit status of process by PID

In article <877hnde94q.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Ben Finney <ben+unix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

alexvai <alexvaigm@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

I need to know the exit status of process by PID in KSH.

The exit status is only reported to the parent process, as far as I
know.

Since his script IS the parent, why would that be a problem?

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Arlington, MA

  • Re: restart network without shutdown
    ... Screen will allow the script to complete, whereas your ssh session is killing it half/part way through... ... Processes which start from within screen don't get killed, because, screen, the parent process, is still running. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • starting programs as a daemon
    ... init as parent process and no tty) which works in all linux distributions? ... I've written an init script which starts several other programs. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Korn Shell conundrum
    ... > Hi I wonder if someone might be able to help me as I'm going nuts ... > that directory once the script has executed. ... > The parent process will remain in its current working directory. ... > parent due to the exit! ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Korn Shell conundrum
    ... that directory once the script has executed. ... Script "gothere" contains something like: ... The parent process will remain in its current working directory. ... needs to check several arguments that can be passed in to it, and exit ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Re: killing a script
    ... code level rather than the Control-C level. ... could put one line at the top of the script and be done with it. ... is completely invisible to the parent process. ...
    (comp.lang.python)