Re: [newbie]: Inheriting group permissions?

In article <87pqw64ckk.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Ben Finney <ben+unix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ben Finney <ben+unix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

"John Larson" <wocket@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Is there a way to automatically inherit also the permissions
automatically for a certain directory?
[â?¦]

Not really, but almost.
[â?¦]
See the â??chmod(1)â?? and â??umask(1)â?? man pages for more.

Barry Margolin <barmar@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

If your filesystem supports ACLs, I think you may be able to
accomplish this with them.

Right. My answer above assumes only POSIX permission semantics. ACLs can
do more, and might be worth the OP's investigation.

Right. The problem with umask is that it is not specific to a particular
directory. So if you set your umask to allow group write, it will affect
all files you create, not just the ones in the shared directory.

Inherited ACLs can be set on specific directories.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Arlington, MA

  • Re: [newbie]: Inheriting group permissions?
    ... Barry Margolin writes: ... accomplish this with them. ... My answer above assumes only POSIX permission semantics. ... ACLs can ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Re: ACLs, umask and shared directories
    ... inherit the perms of the group, the umask still over-rides so.... ... www1 primary group = domain_users; ... ACLs, umask and shared directories ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: ACLs, umask and shared directories
    ... With a umask of 002, one user can modify another user's file in these ... The cronjobs and so forth would work - but functional ACLs would be so ... ACLs, umask and shared directories ... www1 primary group = domain_users; ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • default ACLs permission problems
    ... This applies to FreeBSD 5.3 Release: ... 'Working With ACLs in FreeBSD 5.x' ... and it is mentions that the file will be masked with umask. ... dirs/files created in that directory regardless of umask? ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: [opensuse] script to modify file permissions
    ... Some file system types allow a umask to be specified, ... with spaces in them is difficult for shell scripts to process. ... collectfs - a fuse folder protecting file system, ... The reason I need the script is because I'm exporting the directory over NFS and even though the acls are translated to nfs4 acl's correctly: ...
    (SuSE)