Re: Looking for haiku shell scripting challenges

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 09:43:41 -0700 (PDT)
Paul Branon <paulbranon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've got an odd one here, or maybe not so odd. I've been working in
shells of various sorts for a number of years but have always used
scripting as a means to an end and not an end in itself. But have
wound up working with a bunch of guys who are extremely discerning in
the area of minimising shell code statements. I'd virtually call it
attempting to write shell script haikus! I've never written shell that
way, (in fact I've never written anything that way except assembler in
college) So I was wondering whether anyone out there can think of any
interesting challenges to write as shell haiku-like scripts (practical/
useful scripting challenges would be best)

Isn't this what used to be called "code golf"? If so, there are many good
websites, for example http://golf.shinh.org features many languages, among
which bash, sed, awk, perl, python and many others.
.