Re: Looking for haiku shell scripting challenges

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 09:43:41 -0700 (PDT)
Paul Branon <paulbranon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've got an odd one here, or maybe not so odd. I've been working in
shells of various sorts for a number of years but have always used
scripting as a means to an end and not an end in itself. But have
wound up working with a bunch of guys who are extremely discerning in
the area of minimising shell code statements. I'd virtually call it
attempting to write shell script haikus! I've never written shell that
way, (in fact I've never written anything that way except assembler in
college) So I was wondering whether anyone out there can think of any
interesting challenges to write as shell haiku-like scripts (practical/
useful scripting challenges would be best)

Isn't this what used to be called "code golf"? If so, there are many good
websites, for example http://golf.shinh.org features many languages, among
which bash, sed, awk, perl, python and many others.

  • C/C++ interpreter Ch 6.0 available
    ... 2D/3D plotting, numerical computing, shell programming and embedded ... Embeddable scripting ...
    (comp.compilers)
  • [ann] C/C++ interpreter Ch 6.0 released
    ... 2D/3D plotting, numerical computing, shell programming and embedded ... Embeddable scripting ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Shell Games
    ... Scripting languages like PERL and Bash serve diffrent ... a great book is UNIX Shell ... > Just used a different scripting language. ...
    (freebsd-newbies)
  • [Ann] C/C++ interpreter Ch 5.5 for QNX released
    ... Ch is an embeddable C/C++ interpreter for cross-platform scripting, 2D/3D plotting, numerical computing, shell programming and embedded scripting. ... The new release mainly added Embedded Ch function callback features, more C99 features, and powerful new plotting capabilities, Ch Professional Edition supports smooth surface mesh for 3D plotting. ... functions in static or dynamic binary C/C++ libraries can be executed in Ch script file or Ch command shell without re-compilation. ...
    (comp.os.qnx)
  • [Ann] Embeddable C/C++ interpreter Ch 5.1 released
    ... C/C++ interpreter Ch 5.1, ... embedded scripting. ... 200 utilities in total for cross-platform shell programming and rapid ...
    (comp.compilers)