Re: csh to bash
- From: "Chris F.A. Johnson" <cfajohnson@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 11:07:11 -0400
On 2010-10-18, Sidney Lambe wrote:
On comp.unix.shell, Icarus Sparry <i.sparry+un@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Like many others, I use shell aliases when they are convenient.
The reason Chet includes aliases in bash and covers them in the
man page is because they are useful.
Can you give a single instance where an alias would work better
than a function?
If you and Chris F.A. Johnson want to limit yourself to just
functions (which I also use at will), then knock yourselves out.
You have it backwards. It is aliases which are limiting, not
Chris F.A. Johnson, author <http://shell.cfajohnson.com/>
Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach (2005, Apress)
Pro Bash Programming: Scripting the GNU/Linux Shell (2009, Apress)
- Prev by Date: Re: csh to bash
- Next by Date: Re: Bash conditional expression with 3 conditions joined by "or" and "and"
- Previous by thread: Re: csh to bash
- Next by thread: Re: csh to bash