Re: how to search man page for option code

On 11/30/2011 5:40 PM, Kenny McCormack wrote:
In article<jb5q0p$qg4$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
carolus<sendmenospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/30/2011 11:31 AM, carolus wrote:

3) Something else you might try: man ls | vi -
(This works if vi is vim; I don't if it works on lesser vi
implementations)

Yes, this works, if I type the command correctly, then strip out ^H, and
then type each letter of the search string twice.

I didn't have to do any of those things. For me, it "just worked".

Are you sure you have "vim" as your "vi"?

Yes, but there is a problem with my Cygwin that is not present in the most recent distribution; the described hack is a workaround for my bug.

  • Re: Vim really hates long lines. Anything I can do?
    ... Kenny McCormack wrote: ... I'm talking about lines of approx 8000 chars long where ... slow down vim like hell. ... This can afaik only prevented by turning syntax highlighting off or using synmaxcol. ...
    (comp.editors)
  • vi wrap question
    ... Some implementations (Vim) do, some (BSD?) don't. ... Prev by Date: ...
    (comp.editors)
  • Re: How to write this as either a script or a command line...
    ... In comp.editors, Kenny McCormack wrote: ... vim /proc/self/environ ... The autocommands will get run automatically at specific event times. ... of the other search pattern stuff is explained. ...
    (comp.editors)
  • Re: how to search man page for option code
    ... (This works if vi is vim; I don't if it works on lesser vi ... Yes, this works, if I type the command correctly, then strip out ^H, and then type each letter of the search string twice. ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Re: environmental variables
    ... Kenny McCormack scribbled the following: ... >>It might work for some implementations but is not guaranteed to work ... > This serves as a counterexample to the statement that there doesn't exist ... Implementations may guarantee what they ...
    (comp.lang.c)