Re: user login function of his GID (automount)

From: Michael Vilain (vilain_at_spamcop.net)
Date: 05/23/03

Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 13:44:51 -0700

In article <3ece7647$0$1048$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch>,
 "Eric Swoboda" <eric.swoboda@smile.ch> wrote:

> solaris 2.8
> I have 3 machines A, B, C
> A and B are NFS servers (home directory)
> A shares /users/home_A
> B shares /users/home_B
>
> C is a client where I would like to login users who automount their
> home directory . But the automounted directory is function of the user's
> GID.
>
> on server C ,I have many groups defined,let us say gpa1,gpa2,gpa3 and
> gpb1,gpb2,gpb3 in /etc/groups
> If user_a try to login server C ,he will automatically automount
> A:/users/home_A on /home/user_a because user_a belongs group gpa1
> (similarely for gpa2 and gpa3)
> If user_b try to login server C ,he will automatically automount
> B:/users/home_B on /home/user_B because user_b belongs group gpb1
> (similarely for gpb2 and gpb3)
>
> How can I solve this problem ? Can I script auto_home maps ?
> If the users are autenticated via NIS?

Make all the systems share the same namespace and values for users and
groups. You example is dense and confusing but near as I can tell you
have multiple values for groups amongst the different machines. This
makes them "descrete". Make all the machines _the same_ group so that
any user can log into any machine and get the same mount point. Then
automount and NIS will work correctly.

If you can't do this, use local files and don't use automounter. Users
would be prohibited from accessing their "global home directory" on that
system.

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

Relevant Pages

  • Re: automount issues
    ... The DNS server that host was set to resolve to did not ... home directory server. ... Try ruling out automount. ... This communication, including any attachments, is intended solely ...
    (AIX-L)
  • Re: File::Find on Solaris v8-10
    ... > The problem I've encountered is when scanning automount based NFS ... The easiest is to execute the script from the server that is providing ... Another approach would be to extract the home directory names from the ...
    (comp.lang.perl.modules)
  • Connecting to Network Drive Win 98
    ... the new 2003 server from a Win 98 machine it won't work. ... Works fine on 2K and XP machines but for some reason it ... doesn't like any folder under the root folder on a 98. ... Our home directory is under "users" with everyone having ...
  • Re: Connecting to Network Drive Win 98
    ... | have our logon script point to the new home directory on ... | the new 2003 server from a Win 98 machine it won't work. ... | doesn't like any folder under the root folder on a 98. ... | machines it points them to the users folder and not their ...
  • Re: OpenSSH annoyance
    ... GS>>>the same public/private key pair on all of the machines. ... GS>>>this for free if you used a network mounted home directory (I don't, ... GS>> tying them together in this way with an NFS mount. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)