Re: Filespace Being Used Up With No Trace

From: Darren Dunham (ddunham_at_redwood.taos.com)
Date: 06/17/03

Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 16:40:04 GMT

In comp.unix.solaris Edward Nash Jr. <nashe@optonline.net> wrote:
> I have seen in manuals that fsck can be used on the root filesystem (and
> only that one) while it is mounted if the system is in maintenance or
> single-user mode.

Please let us know where. Especially if it has anything to do with
Solaris 2.x.

Older systems may not have behaved in the same manner. I can't even
recall what SunOS 4.x did. I think the default for single-user was to
still be mounted read-only, but that could be changed by doing a
boot -sw.

If you do a 'boot -b' on Solaris, it will come up with only the root
filesystem mounted read-only. If you have a separate /usr, you can then
mount it read-only also. Once mounted, you can run 'fsck' on all
filesystems.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham@taos.com
Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company

  • Re: fsckd - FIXED
    ... filesystem errors on boot, with the "hit control-D to continue or give root ... to fix the errors with fsck. ... filesystem and inability to reboot. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: fsckd
    ... filesystem errors on boot, with the "hit control-D to continue or give root ... to fix the errors with fsck. ... filesystem and inability to reboot. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: fsckd
    ... with the "hit control-D to continue or give root ... I've now captured the pertinent part of the boot messages and will ... Why does the filesystem check clean once and then come up ... Knoppix and run fsck, it comes back CLEAN. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Help! My debian sid cannot boot, "A manual fsck must be performed"
    ... An automatic file system checkof the root filesystem failed. ... manual fsck must be performed. ... Attempted to kill init! ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: booting without initrd
    ... Why do you want to boot without an initrd? ... check the file system integrity I see a log saying that fsck just failed ... it is best to boot with the root filesystem mounted RO (unless ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)