Re: PCI and SBus adapter

From: Ari Rankum (Ari_Rankum_at_invalid.invalid)
Date: 01/20/04

Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 00:38:56 GMT

Toomas Soome wrote:
> Ari Rankum wrote:
>
>> cljlk wrote:
>>
>>> What is the diference between PCI and SBus adapter?
>>> Thanks
>>

>> SBus is a Sun Microsystems-proprietary bus design. It used to be that
>

> it's not proprietary since it's documented (IEEE?) standard.
>
>> Sun machines only came with SBus. When Sun started to take advantage
>> of commodity hardware, they adopted PCI in some of their boxes, like
>> the Ulta 10 and some of their big servers. Due to economies of scale,
>> PCI cards for any given functionality are usually cheaper. Also due
>> to economies of scale, it's easier to find any given functionality as
>> a PCI card as opposed to an SBus card.
>

> there are myriad of pci cards, but this does not mean they are available
> on sun -- no drivers, no hardware documentation. proprietary.

I don't think you'll see a claim in my post that any pci card can run on
a Sun.

The publication of the standard was done to allow card manufacturers to
create SBus compliant cards. Nobody but Sun uses the bus in their
computers. As to my choice of the word proprietary - it was the best I
could do for "a design that only Sun uses in their computers" in a
single word. I figured most in the know would leave such a choice
alone. Unless they were terminally anal, scanning Usenet for any nit
they can pick, no matter how miniscule, no matter how late, that is.
Get a life.