Re: version control of server scripts

From: Dana French (dfrench_at_mtxia.com)
Date: 08/19/04

Date: 19 Aug 2004 07:19:37 -0700

Bruno Gallant <scion@metagrid.net> wrote in message news:<g1UUc.126855$sk2.3666741@wagner.videotron.net>...

> Hello Dana, thanks for the answer.
>

> I am in fact looking for some kind of scripts using RCS or CVS or other
> versioning control mechanism to follow every changes to any script or
> file that would be altered by the site installation and day to day
> activity of sysadmin. Basically, a vi with a versioning system.
>
> I am trying to find if it already exists before writing one myself.
>

> Dana French wrote:
> | Bruno Gallant <scion@metagrid.net> wrote in message
> |
> | Hello,
> |
> | I will install several servers in the near future, and I want to use a
> | system that will do version control on the scripts. The main idea is to
> | be able to go back as much to the pristine base install if something
> | goes wrong.
> |
> | I already played with putting a wrapper around vi to call RCS and the
> | like. I want to know if there is more comprehensive OSS suites that can
> | do this. I already googled this a bit, but found nothing.
> |
> | Thanks for the help!
> |
> | Bruno
>
> | There is a "mkversion" script at:
>
> | http://www.mtxia.com/fancyIndex/Tools/Scripts/Korn/mkversion.html
>
> | If you are simply trying to keep multiple versions of a few scripts,
> | this may work for you. If you are trying to keep synchronized
> | versions of lots of scripts, then this is probably NOT what you want.
> | The "mkversion" script makes a copy of a specified file and appends a
> | ".0" on the end. If a ".0" file already exists, it first move this
> | file to ".1", then makes the ".0" copy. If ".1" exists, yadda, yadda,
> | yadda....
>

> | --------------------------------------------------------
> | Dana French dfrench@mtxia.com
> | Mt Xia Technical Consulting Group http://www.mtxia.com
> | 100% Spam Free Email http://www.ridmail.com
> | MicroEmacs http://uemacs.tripod.com
> | Korn Shell Web http://dfrench.tripod.com/kshweb.html

Have you attempted to write a "vi" macro that interacts with RCS or
CVS? I personally, in 24 years of Unix experience, have never written
a "vi" macro (I'm a MicroEMACS kind of guy), but I do believe it
supports this. Does anyone else out there have experience in writing
"vi" macros that interact with a version control system? It sure
seems like a natural fit.

Dana French dfrench@mtxia.com
Mt Xia Technical Consulting Group http://www.mtxia.com
100% Spam Free Email http://www.ridmail.com
MicroEmacs http://uemacs.tripod.com
Korn Shell Web http://dfrench.tripod.com/kshweb.html

Relevant Pages

  • [PLSN-0005] new cvs package available
    ... Peachtree Linux Security Notice PLSN-0005 ... Buffer overflow, memory leaks, and NULL pointer dereference in CVS ... potential vulnerabilities in the contributed Perl scripts have been ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • How can I specify email address for log_accum.in (CVS)
    ... projects using CVS to send mails to a mailing list. ... other scripts but they didn't work well with the last format of message. ... So I've installed the scripts on CVSROOT on a project. ... constant to use the new info format string, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: version control of server scripts
    ... Hello Dana, thanks for the answer. ... I am in fact looking for some kind of scripts using RCS or CVS or other ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: version control of server scripts
    ... Hello Dana, thanks for the answer. ... I am in fact looking for some kind of scripts using RCS or CVS or other ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Re: version control of server scripts
    ... Hello Dana, thanks for the answer. ... I am in fact looking for some kind of scripts using RCS or CVS or other ...
    (comp.unix.shell)