Re: Anyone else seeing this management trend favoring Linux?

From: Dimitri Maziuk (dima_at_127.0.0.1)
Date: 08/20/04

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:00:13 +0000 (UTC)

UNIX admin sez:
>> True, but Linux can be run from a serial port on such a machine.
>
> Of course it can, I don't believe that was ever in question. It's the
> (OpenBoot)PROM serial vs. BIOS serial that we're debating about here. You
> can't diagnose HW failures or control the boot process until Linux is
> booted.
> I don't think you can even see LILO/Grub messages?

I'm pretty sure you can -- it's been ~4 months since I set up
our (only) headless Linux server & I already reused the neurons.
ISTR BIOS messages won't go to serial port at all, some of kernel
boot messages won't go to serial port unless kernel's built with
serial console support.

OpenBoot vs BIOS serial and kernel support for serial console
are two separate issues. IME both are standard on Solaris/SPARC
and rare on Linux/Intel.

Dima

--
Tlaloc: What was Elrond's second name?