Re: root's PATH variable

From: Mothra (mothra_at_mothra.com)
Date: 10/13/04

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 09:44:43 GMT

Mothra wrote:

> I feel a bit of an idiot asking this, given how long I've been managing
> Solaris servers but:
>
> If root has no .profile, where does it get its PATH environment from?

<humble>
I AM an idiot! Root has a default profile that is pre-compiled into
/usr/sbin/init but is overriden by /etc/default/login. I hadn't checked
these files carefully enough - in the 'broken' machine I had explicitly
set PATH and SUPATH.
</humble>

<mitigation>
Doesn't explain why I have "/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/bin" is in twice
in /usr/sbin/init's PATH variable. Must have been the product of a
dodgy JumpStart server, which has never been under my control.
</mitigation>

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [opensuse] yast2 - colors inverted in some columns with dark theme
    ... etc. in root's KDE profile. ... try copying the color scheme to root and report back. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: need to resete fire fox to default theme
    ... >> Stvylife was a notorious poster, ... > Now something is restricting my security access. ... > copied the default profile from the OPT directory to my user profile in ... I did most of that as root. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Setting the EDITOR environment variable for root
    ... Hi Mutts, to set root profile you need edit /.profile this is the root ...
    (comp.sys.sun.admin)
  • RE: (mis)using RBAC...
    ... with the ability to selectively allocate root ... sudo prompts for the user's own password. ... I created a profile called "Web Administration" ... Web Administration:::Role for restarting webservers:: ...
    (Focus-SUN)
  • Re: Woodstock Glider
    ... The tip foil should stall later, ... between the chord lines of the root and tip sections, ... can see that the profile goes from sort of flat-bottomed at the tip to ... scaling of your DWGs; if you keep an eye on them you'll be fine. ...
    (rec.aviation.soaring)