Re: root's PATH variable

From: Mothra (
Date: 10/13/04

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 09:44:43 GMT

Mothra wrote:

> I feel a bit of an idiot asking this, given how long I've been managing
> Solaris servers but:
> If root has no .profile, where does it get its PATH environment from?
I AM an idiot! Root has a default profile that is pre-compiled into
/usr/sbin/init but is overriden by /etc/default/login. I hadn't checked
these files carefully enough - in the 'broken' machine I had explicitly
set PATH and SUPATH.

Doesn't explain why I have "/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/bin" is in twice
in /usr/sbin/init's PATH variable. Must have been the product of a
dodgy JumpStart server, which has never been under my control.