Re: Troublleshoot SSH

From: Logan Shaw (lshaw-usenet_at_austin.rr.com)
Date: 11/09/05

Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 20:51:44 GMT

Carl Hilton wrote:
> I have the SSHD daemon running, yet I can not telnet in on port 22
> using an SSH client (puTTY).

You mean you can't ssh in? An ssh client wouldn't be likely to be
speaking the telnet protocol, which goes on port 23 anyway.

> I get NOTHING when I try. How can I
> troubleshoot this problem?

Run "snoop not port 53" on the Solaris machine, then try, then
see if the packets get there and what happens if they do. If
you have a network snooping program on the Windows machine,
run that too so you can see if everything the Windows machine
sends makes it to the Solaris machine without getting dropped
by a firewall or something and vice versa.

   - Logan

Relevant Pages

  • Re: FTP works but SSH does not
    ... The port can be changed on the Connection page of the ... But since Windows doesn't supply an ssh ... If you have access to another ssh client, ... Don't use the Windows telnet. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Need to open a specific port
    ... > telnet to port 9003 on the Solaris machine from a Linux machine. ... you'd have to run a server and have it use that port. ... why couldn't he just ssh or telnet normally? ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Need to open a specific port
    ... >>telnet to port 9003 on the Solaris machine from a Linux machine. ... why couldn't he just ssh or telnet normally? ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Troublleshoot SSH
    ... I have the SSHD daemon running, yet I can not telnet in on port 22 ... using an SSH client (puTTY). ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • openssh-4.3p2: setsockopt() problem
    ... Telnet was having a similar problem to port 22, ... My java ssh client was also working. ... I noticed also that telnet was hanging the same way. ...
    (SSH)