Re: Solaris 9 - Slow install

Martin Paul <map@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

The best would be to keep contents in memory as long as an instance
of pkgadd is running. This doesn't gain anything for adding one package,
but if pkgadd is fed the complete list of packages during OS installation
it would work.

There's no reason not to cache it in a daemon and write all transactions
to a log so they can be recovered if the daemon crashes.

It's just that the machine should not crash during pkgadd, as there
would be inconsistencies between contents and the actual installed
files. But as installing a file and adding it to contents isn't an
atomic operation as of now, pkgadd probably already has this problem.

There is always a risk of that of lack of atomicity during package
add, so that is nothing new.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

  • Problem installing gcc-3.2.2-sol9-sparc
    ... to house this package. ... pkgadd: ERROR: attempt to process datastream failed ... Installation of failed. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Solaris 9 - Slow install
    ... of kernel memory to cache it all. ... of pkgadd is running. ... This doesn't gain anything for adding one package, ... but if pkgadd is fed the complete list of packages during OS installation ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Can I used liveupgrade to downgrade?
    ... >Installation of was successful. ... is there a driver called "ib" installed by this package? ... to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • patchrm error
    ... version of a package which is already installed. ... pkgadd: ERROR: attempt to process datastream failed ... Installation of failed. ... What's wrong about the patchrm message. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: dist-upgrade problem (was Re: /etc/modutils/0keep: line 9: keep: command not found)
    ... Reading package fields... ... i t does not have execute permission ... installation script returned error exit status 100. ...
    (Debian-User)