Re: update SOLARIS10 09/05 to 01/06

Heinz Müller wrote:
Hi,

our software produce recommend to update our servers (SUNfire 240)
from SOLARIS10 09/05 to 01/06.

So, what should we do:

Initial-Install or Update?

any tips?

regards
heinz

I'd say that all depends on your use. I always just do a fresh install on my workstations since I can just mount my home directories. However, since you are running servers you should look into the uber-cool "Live Upgrade" feature which you may not be able to do now if your disks are not setup properly from the last install. If your disks are setup for this already, great, just do a "Live Upgrade" and simply reboot into Solaris 1/06! This is a seriously under-appreciated feature in Solaris.

Even for my workstations I'll likely get into the Live Upgrade habit once Solaris 10 u2 hits the servers in a few months (ZFS woohoo!).

  • Re: Password aging on Suns with NIS?
    ... >> wouldn't benefit from NIS+ even if we liked banging our heads against the wall). ... PAM, it looks like I could drop in a replacement for pam_unix_acct, but I suspect ... > An easy way to get password aging on the Solaris ... >> workstations and servers. ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • Re: solaris 1/6 on Sunfire v245 ?
    ... Business bought 2 SunFire V450's and found they wouldnt jumpstart on the ... Solaris 10 image that we as framework providers have rigorously tested once ... these 2 servers would mean weeks of manhours ... ... support contract money. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: solaris 1/6 on Sunfire v245 ?
    ... impossible to add that kernel and module support in later on so the minimum ... pragmatic and these servers had to be ready "yesterday". ... the same Solaris 10 OS image on all servers in order to ease maintenance. ... hardware that it doesn't support, you and your whole team just went into ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Available consultant Vijay for Unix System Admin with sun Solories Expireance.@217-241-201
    ... architecture Servers. ... implementation, connectivity and maintenance on Sun Solaris, Veritas ... Software: VERITAS Volume Manager 4.1. ...
    (comp.unix.admin)
  • Re: Why I hate this so called OS
    ... Each time I trust Solaris to do autoinstall, I wind up with a root ... Usually I create a properly sized slice on a second disk and transfer OS ... If your in to managing many servers and services easy, ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)