Re: "mt" command usage

zdk <nx2zdk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mar 26, 12:05 pm, j...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
zdk <nx2...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear folk,
I have external tape device connect to Solaris8.But I don't know which
interface in /dev/rmt/ that I can control it via "mt" command.(for
example, mt -f /dev/rmt/xxx status )
it always shows me error: No such device or address
example : /dev/rmt/1mn: No such device or address
Any suggestion or help would be greatly appriciated.

Assuming it is a SCSI device, ls -alF /dev/rmt/? should show links
to things containing st@X, where X is the SCSI address of the
drive, assuming also that the drive is actually configured.

On a Blade 100, you see:

0 -> ../../devices/pci@1f,0/pci@5/scsi@2/st@4,0:
1 -> ../../devices/pci@1f,0/pci@5/scsi@2/st@5,0
2 -> ../../devices/pci@1f,0/pci@5/scsi@2/st@6,0:

I have 3 drives attached.

I just try another script.

# ./checktape.sh
/dev/rmt/0: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/0b: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/0bn: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/0c: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/0cb: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/0cbn: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/0cn: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/0h: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/0hb: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/0hbn: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/0hn: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/0l: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/0lb: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/0lbn: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/0ln: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/0m: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/0mb: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/0mbn: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/0mn: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/0n: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/0u: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/0ub: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/0ubn: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/0un: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/1: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/1b: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/1bn: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/1c: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/1cb: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/1cbn: No such device or address
/dev/rmt/1cn: No such device or address

If /dev/rmt/x exists, all the other things will exist.

If /dev/rmt/x doesn't exist, none of the other things will exist.

You have no drives configured.

Assuming the drive is connected, you either have to do a reconfiguration
boot, or devfsadm -c tape to create the devices if you don't want to or
can't reboot.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

  • Re: "mt" command usage
    ... zdk wrote: ... I have external tape device connect to Solaris8.But I don't know which ... I have 3 drives attached. ... Jim Pennino ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: "mt" command usage
    ... I have external tape device connect to Solaris8.But I don't know which ... I have 3 drives attached. ... I just try another script. ... Jim Pennino ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: OT - I ran....
    ... very cross at the suggestion that they might not have made the best ... Yeah, my parents for 2. ... And USB flash drives are a security risk for other ... "" Rowland McDonnell July 2007 ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)
  • Re: OT - I ran....
    ... very cross at the suggestion that they might not have made the best ... Yeah, my parents for 2. ... either a) buy this 'ere G5 from me, or stump up for a Mactel iMac. ... And USB flash drives are a security risk for other ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)
  • Re: recover from a bad F16 install
    ... Though I appreciate the suggestion, I can't get any further progress ... install to hard drive option ... ... its does the same "No usable disks" ... I've had anaconda fail to recognize drives due to leftover fake raid ...
    (Fedora)