Re: Sun's direction in Solaris 10x86 (11/06)

On 31 May 2007 02:47:15 -0700 noident@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Well, it depends on what shines. For me the shiniest toy in Linux has
always been the ability to read/modify the source code.
If something isn't doing what I expect on Linux, I could as the last
resort compile it with debugging and run in gdb, or just put
additional printf()'s into the code.

For all but the most trivial bugs, this is just another deranged Linux
fantasy. Lets say it's a hard to reproduce bug in gdb itself. You
honestly think a few printfs and bingo! the bug goes away?

No, I don't think the bugs will go away. From experience - an
application chucks a hard-to-decipher message into syslog and then
dies. I can't for the life of me make sense of the message - I'm sure
many will find the situation familiar. Going to the source code,
finding where the syslog message was sent, and what triggered it -
this does help a lot, I'm speaking from experience.

First of all, an *application* logging an unclear message is not a
kernel issue, but an application issue, and the applications that have
these problems mostly run on both Solaris and Linux.

Now, I really think that source code is an ENABLER of this kind of
crappy software. The fact that there IS source code lets people write
crappy software (doesn't work? use the source and stop complaining)
with crappy documentation.

That said, having the source is very shiny.

-frank

  • Re: Suns direction in Solaris 10x86 (11/06)
    ... always been the ability to read/modify the source code. ... For all but the most trivial bugs, this is just another deranged Linux ... learn from Solaris. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Video editing in Linux?
    ... whatever you would want, i would have to first get linux installed, ... It is totally viable that you could modify the source code out there ... in the same way that Windows security gets ... i doubt your cpu even hits 10% of its potential ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: Suns direction in Solaris 10x86 (11/06)
    ... always been the ability to read/modify the source code. ... For all but the most trivial bugs, this is just another deranged Linux ... I'm not a zealot, I do think Solaris is a good OS, but I also believe ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Building an assembler from scratch
    ... Some proprietary software has been released as FOSS software after the ... want source code 99.99% of the time. ... You cannot say that about Linux. ... OpenGL 3.2 deprecated some features (API calls); ...
    (comp.lang.asm.x86)
  • RE: possible GPL violation by Sigma Designs
    ... I purchased a Liteon LVD2001 DVD player which uses this Sigma EM8500 chipset ... and firmware running Linux. ... devices in the PCMCIA slot of this DVD player but source code for their ... drivers (GPL status for these is unknown), ...
    (Linux-Kernel)