Re: ssh tunelling X11 error

On Jul 19, 7:46 pm, vanos...@xxxxxxx wrote:
On Jul 17, 2:38 am, burnout_AS <aijazba...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

hello there,
I am using solaris 10 on my sun sparc ultra 10 box.
I am facing problems to connect to a remote server using theX11
feature of the ssh protocols. This is the error message i when i try
to log on to that server. I do get logged on but i cannot get the
xwindows system to work on my box.
that means i can only use the server in command line mode. Heres the
error i see:

xset: bad font path element (#65), possible causes are:
Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
Directory missing fonts.dir
Incorrect font server address or syntax
xset: bad font path element (#65), possible causes are:
Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
Directory missing fonts.dir
Incorrect font server address or syntax

As far as i can remember i did opt to exclude some optional fonts
while installing solaris. I wonder if its because of that. How do i
get theX11tunnelling feature to work with it now?

Your replies and comments are welcome.

Regards,
Aijaz Baig.

I assume you are using the correct ssh options for the tunnel? By
chance, does your profile on the remote system change the DISPLAY
environment variable? What is it set to when you do "echo $DISPLAY"?

Brad

hi brad.
on typin echo $DISPLAY at the terminal i get the following on my
system before the ssh:
:0.0
after doing the ssh when i finally reach the remote machine i tried
the same command on that machine and it gives:
localhost:13.0

Those machines are like thin sun ray clients and i do not have much
information on the kind of server they have but its definately sun for
sure.

And when i try to log on to another remote location, wherein the
servers are linux servers, i just cannot get the connection, its like
after issuing the ssh command, the console screen seems to be stuck or
something.

Please do let me know how to go about fixin this issue(s).

Regards,
Aijaz

  • Re: X-terminal
    ... i have a sun server, headless, that i use with ssh login, text only. ...
    (comp.os.linux.x)
  • Re: Trouble with X11 over SSH on Mandriva 2010.0
    ... If next clean install/update causes ssh to break, ... installed the sshd daemon/service package (OpenSSH Server) on the server. ... correct values for client and server. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Apache Software Foundation Server compromised, resecured. (fwd)
    ... this was one "result" of the comromised ssh binary at sourceforge. ... a public server of the Apache Software Foundation ... > (ASF) was illegally accessed by unknown crackers. ... > exhaustive audit of all Apache source code and binary distributions ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: FreeBSD Crash without Errors, Warnings, or Panics
    ... I suppose I could run on stable until the driver is fixed in a release branch, but I need this box up and online, and I've always read that the stable branch is not the place for production servers. ... I'm running 6.0-RELEASE-p5 on a Toshiba built server: dual Xeon Intel motherboard with a LSILogic MegaRAID controller. ... Also, some network ports still respond, like a telnet to port 22 to test SSH will yield an SSH banner, but trying to connect with SSH just hangs. ... The box runs a web-based app and connects to a local Postgres DB which seemed to be unable to start new connections being requested by the PHP scripts. ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: restrict ssh access
    ... > We have one ssh server which receives about 6000 failed attempts to ... > unsuccessful login attempts per client IP address? ... the remote server is also running OpenSSH. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)