Re: ssh tunelling X11 error

On Jul 19, 7:46 pm, vanos...@xxxxxxx wrote:
On Jul 17, 2:38 am, burnout_AS <aijazba...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

hello there,
I am using solaris 10 on my sun sparc ultra 10 box.
I am facing problems to connect to a remote server using theX11
feature of the ssh protocols. This is the error message i when i try
to log on to that server. I do get logged on but i cannot get the
xwindows system to work on my box.
that means i can only use the server in command line mode. Heres the
error i see:

xset: bad font path element (#65), possible causes are:
Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
Directory missing fonts.dir
Incorrect font server address or syntax
xset: bad font path element (#65), possible causes are:
Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
Directory missing fonts.dir
Incorrect font server address or syntax

As far as i can remember i did opt to exclude some optional fonts
while installing solaris. I wonder if its because of that. How do i
get theX11tunnelling feature to work with it now?

Your replies and comments are welcome.

Regards,
Aijaz Baig.

I assume you are using the correct ssh options for the tunnel? By
chance, does your profile on the remote system change the DISPLAY
environment variable? What is it set to when you do "echo $DISPLAY"?

Brad

hi brad.
on typin echo $DISPLAY at the terminal i get the following on my
system before the ssh:
:0.0
after doing the ssh when i finally reach the remote machine i tried
the same command on that machine and it gives:
localhost:13.0

Those machines are like thin sun ray clients and i do not have much
information on the kind of server they have but its definately sun for
sure.

And when i try to log on to another remote location, wherein the
servers are linux servers, i just cannot get the connection, its like
after issuing the ssh command, the console screen seems to be stuck or
something.

Please do let me know how to go about fixin this issue(s).

Regards,
Aijaz

.