Re: NTP on Solaris 10

Gary Mills wrote:
In <1194794861.918269.59310@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> m_radstake@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I configured a machine (running Solaris 10) as NTP client as follows:

I created a file /etc/inet/ntp.conf
the file contains:
server <ip-address of NTP server>

I enables NTP:
svcadm enable network/ntp

The time is synchronized with the NTP-server.

That's how it should work. Type `ntpq -p' on that machine to see how
it's doing. You can also put more than one server name in the
ntp.conf file.

However, when I modify the time/date with 'date' the time is never
resynchronized again automatically (unless I reboot the machine of
course).

Why did you do that? NTP expects that only it changes the time.
You could disable and enable it again, but why do that?

I guess some people want to see ntpd correct the time!

  • Server down but time staying in sync
    ... even though the NTP server is down! ... we use ntpq to know about its association! ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)
  • Re: help with setting up NTP on windows with a USB GPS
    ... Another reason I think a local server would be ... With the Meinberg NTP server in the path now, ... It sounds as if the best arrangement would be to have one PC as a stratum-1 NTP server, and get your Faros PC syncing to it. ... Poll times in the ntpq -p display are in seconds, ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)
  • Re: Clock accuracy
    ... Otherwise the time is simply kept by your BIOS clock and will drift ... Windows comes with a time sync service to get time for a NTP server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Linux, Garmin GPX-18X LVM & PPS
    ... I am trying to set up an NTP server using the Garmin GPS-18 as the reference clock. ... So, it looks like its synchronising to the NMEA data coming from the GPS receiver without any problems, but is the PPS working? ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)
  • Re: ISA Server 2004 and External Time Source
    ... In ISA Server 2004 there is an SBS Localhost Access Rule which lists NTP ... Protocol is using port 123 to send and receive. ... I found an NTP Server, and have it's IP address and FQDN name. ...
    (microsoft.public.isa)