Re: NTP on Solaris 10

Gary Mills wrote:
In <1194794861.918269.59310@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> m_radstake@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I configured a machine (running Solaris 10) as NTP client as follows:

I created a file /etc/inet/ntp.conf
the file contains:
server <ip-address of NTP server>

I enables NTP:
svcadm enable network/ntp

The time is synchronized with the NTP-server.

That's how it should work. Type `ntpq -p' on that machine to see how
it's doing. You can also put more than one server name in the
ntp.conf file.

However, when I modify the time/date with 'date' the time is never
resynchronized again automatically (unless I reboot the machine of
course).

Why did you do that? NTP expects that only it changes the time.
You could disable and enable it again, but why do that?

I guess some people want to see ntpd correct the time!

  • Server down but time staying in sync
    ... even though the NTP server is down! ... we use ntpq to know about its association! ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)
  • Re: help with setting up NTP on windows with a USB GPS
    ... Another reason I think a local server would be ... With the Meinberg NTP server in the path now, ... It sounds as if the best arrangement would be to have one PC as a stratum-1 NTP server, and get your Faros PC syncing to it. ... Poll times in the ntpq -p display are in seconds, ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)
  • Re: Clock accuracy
    ... Otherwise the time is simply kept by your BIOS clock and will drift ... Windows comes with a time sync service to get time for a NTP server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Linux, Garmin GPX-18X LVM & PPS
    ... I am trying to set up an NTP server using the Garmin GPS-18 as the reference clock. ... So, it looks like its synchronising to the NMEA data coming from the GPS receiver without any problems, but is the PPS working? ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)
  • Re: NTP over several firewalls
    ... server --> internal ntp server. ... So DMZ hosts to DMZ ntp and so on. ... : exception: Routers on the internet will sync to the DMZ NTP server too. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)