Re: force to use 32-bit command?

On 2008-07-22 20:05:28 +0100, "bill_j_chen@xxxxxxxxx" <bill_j_chen@xxxxxxxxx> said:

We have solaris 10 (on sparc). One application needs 32-bit perl (AD
made that statement). We are using the default perl coming with
Solaris 10 (SPARC).

when I do file /usr/bin/perl, it gives like the following:

/usr/bin/perl: ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, dynamically
linked, stripped

[...]

ivtype='long long', ivsize=8, nvtype='double', nvsize=8,

[...]

Compile-time options: USE_64_BIT_INT USE_LARGE_FILES

[...]

ARCH: sparc

[...]

I think this perl should be 64-bit. But from output of the command
above, how can we tell that?

It uses a 64-bit integer type, as you can see from the compile-time options and the ivtype. But 32-bit programs can use 64-bit integer types.

Since everything says it is a 32-bit binary, why do you think otherwise?

Cheers,

Chris

.