Re: Install Solaris PXE via tftp server on Windows

On Dec 12, 6:59 pm, ITguy <southa...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have many XP laptops and 1 rackable server. It does not have an
optical drive and there is one usb port which is sort of deep and I
need it for my keyboard in any case, so I cannot boot from USB. I
installed Ubuntu using instructions athttp://hugi.to/blog/archive/2006/12/23/ubuntu-pxe-install-via-windows
and that was very very simple and went very well. I now wanted to
install Solaris also on the same server and expected the procedure to
be more or less similar, until all my searches ended up in vain.

Can someone please help me? I know my server supports PXE, because
that was how I installed Ubuntu. If someone can tell me if it is
possible to install Solaris via tftp running on Windows and provide me
some basic steps of how to do it (detailed steps would also be most
helpful and welcome), I would be most grateful.

Thanks,
Anoop

Solaris refers to a network install as "Jumpstart".  The Solaris DVD
media includes a couple of scripts to create a Jumpstart server, but
those are intended to run on an existing Solaris box.  You might try
installing a Solaris virtual machine using VirtualBox on WinXP, then
use that for the Jumpstart server for the network install.

Yes - I came across many references to Jumpstart and I went through
the details. That was my last choice if I cannot boot from another
install host like windows.

Thanks,
Anoop

  • Re: Solaris 10u3 jumpstart fails with 38e00
    ... Boot device: sec-disk File and args: ... ok boot net - install ... tftpboot entries as the Linux tutorials. ... Theres a error in the dmesg on the solaris vm machine about how vmnet ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Solaris 10 / Express / 11 without GRUB?
    ... I have a box that I'd like to install Solaris Express on. ... The kernel no longer uses real mode drivers when booting under GRUB. ... I suppose it's possible to put all the boot stuff in a separate boot ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Installing Sol10 over network.
    ... I'm trying to install the solaris 10, at a old sun ultra 10 (440MHz, ... 9GB HD and 512MB), and I can't boot with 700MB cdrom, I already tryied ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Solaris 9 Jumpstart Failure
    ... Solaris 8 (we cannot move to Solaris 10 due to ClearCase ... I have been able to successfully jumpstart the jumpstart server host ... Once the install is started on the client the following output is ... Using RPC Bootparams for network configuration information. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: "no active partition"error (Solaris 10/x86)
    ... I just installed Solaris 10 on a host with an LSI 320-2 RAID ... Is this the only disk in the box? ... You might have a corrupt boot sector. ... Boot Sector and then do the install again. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)