Re: Problem with root user

Colin B. wrote:
Michael Vilain <vilain@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

--------------- cut 'n' paste ---------------
...people can configure a system any way they like, just so long as they realize...
--------------- cut 'n' paste ---------------

Everyone who takes computers seriously should cut out the above statement
and tape it up to their monitor.

Michael wrote a lot of other good stuff, but THIS is the crux of every
argument about changing system defaults. You can change it, but only if
you realise the consequences.

There will ALWAYS be SOMEONE who does not realize the consequences of what he is doing! You can apply whatever security measures you are prepared to live with but that SOMEONE will always be waiting to kick you where it hurts IF you give him an opportunity!

  • Re: WU 5 and XP SP2 RC2 fails to clear antivirus status warning
    ... I wondered it that was it, but it never hurts to ask. ... > Because Norton as well as others appear to be waiting for the final ...
  • Re: Dull, damp and dreary in Brussels
    ... Dull, misty and damp. ... I so very agree with you, Colin, particularly that 'dreary' of yours. ... waiting for a good WC to clear all this polluted, ...
    (uk.sci.weather)
  • Re: In bed with a woman
    ... eriskay house is shouting on you, "COLIN" your ... bed is waiting ... is that a fantasy of yours colin--you are one sick puppy with dodgy ...
    (uk.radio.amateur)
  • Re: A question abour=t Xnews
    ... Colin wrote: ... I get that eternal "waiting for confirmation" message if I try to post ... on my dialup Xnews posts fine. ...
    (news.software.readers)
  • Martyn run out!!!!
    ... I don't like the idea of Martyn opening. ... There's a run out waiting to ... Of course there's always Colin Kynoch's advice to consider ... ... Prev by Date: ...
    (rec.sport.cricket)