Re: ping www.sun.com ===>> unknown host www.sun.com: What 1 cmd fixes it?

David Combs wrote:
Deliberate top-post:

Paul Hume, whose post came immediately after yours, and which
I had not yet seen when I 10 minutes ago followed-up to you,
suggested that I try doing:

/sbin/ifconfig bge0 auto-dhcp start

and see what happened.

Blow me over, everything (well, ping and firefox) seems to work.

(but ping on www.sun.com didn't, but did on eg www.truthout.org,
and www.booktv.org. Humm -- maybe I should try something
that I have NEVER gone to on that computer, just to make
sure it's not an old copy or something. Wait, I'll be
right back.

Yep, it does.

THEREFORE THIS NEXT QUESION: And I'll ask you the same question I asked him (who knows when he'll see it?):

So, whenever I boot up, do I have to type in that start
command by hand?

Or is there somewhere that I can put it so that it will
get executed automatically (if it hasn't already "started")?

And, again, I'm using solaris-10, which has some totally new
way of starting up, without using all those init-file scripts?

All this stuff here (below, bottom placed), I could just
delete it in this followup, but to keep your suggestions
alive, existing, I'll leave them there.

Thanks!

Dave,

The command "/sbin/ifconfig bge0 auto-dhcp start" I believe will not work through another reboot.

What this command did was start DHCP, which is basically a dynamic address assignment. In other words, it assigned you the next free address on the router. So there is a very good chance you don't have 192.168.1.205 assigned as your IP address. If you have any equipment communicating to your computer using 192.168.1.205 it won't work.

You can find out your ip address assigned by the router by entering the following command:

netstat -rn

Here is the output from my computer:

# netstat -rn

Routing Table: IPv4
Destination Gateway Flags Ref Use Interface
-------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ---------- ---------
default 192.168.1.1 UG 1 456 iwh0
192.168.1.0 192.168.1.206 U 1 14 iwh0
127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 UH 6 201 lo0

My assigned IP address by the router is 192.168.1.206.

There are two ways to get IP 192.168.1.206 assigned to you. One way is as I've explained in a previous e-mail (also attached below) or have the router setup to reserve an IP address based on the MAC ID of your computer NIC (Network Interface Card), your IT department should know how to set up the Router for this.

Any way, I think the best option is to configure your computer for a static IP address as shown below.

Paul

In article <4b0dfb6b$0$22532$607ed4bc@xxxxxx>,
Paul Gress <pgress@xxxxxx> wrote:
David Combs wrote:
In article <hejjjv$mus$1@xxxxxxxx>,
Oscar del Rio <delrio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
David Combs wrote:
netstat -rn
Routing Table: IPv4
Destination Gateway Flags Ref Use Interface -------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ---------- --------- 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 UH 31 675313 lo0
missing default gateway. The gateway was probably added manually before the reboot, without making it permanent.

ifconfig -a
bge0: flags=1000842<BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2
inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0
Missing IP address and netmask. You will not get anywhere with 0.0.0.0
The IP address was probably added manually with ifconfig, again without saving it.

We have no way to know what your IP address, netmask and gateway are supposed to be. You will have to figure that out perhaps by checking the settings of other machines in your local network.

EXAMPLE - IF and only IF your network settings were to be

IP: 192.168.12.34
Netmask: 255.255.0.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.2

# vi /etc/hosts
192.168.12.34 YOURCOMPUTERNAME

# vi /etc/netmasks
192.168.0.0 255.255.0.0

# echo 192.168.12.34 > /etc/hostname.bge0

# ifconfig bge0 192.168.12.34 netmask + broadcast + up

# route -p add default 192.168.1.2

That should fix it. No need to reboot but you might want to reboot anyway to make sure the settings got saved properly.
Here's SOME of the info we keep around about the local network:
(This was given to me just a few hours ago.)

dns servers:
167.206.3.152
167.206.7.4
^---- maybe that's a 2, but probably a 7. (Hard to read the writing.)

These are the DNS servers for Cablevision from Hicksville NY.

default gateway: 192.168.1.1

Thats from the router, the default route.

david (me) 192.168.1.205

Looks like a static IP address.

Does that help?

If so, please tell me what files to update.

Here goes:

Put in your /etc/hosts an line entry:

192.168.1.205 My_computer_hostname

where "My_computer_hostname" is the actual name for your computer.

Put in a/the file /etc/defaultrouter the entry:

192.168.1.1

Put in a/the file /etc/resolv.conf the entry:

nameserver 167.206.3.152
nameserver 167.206.7.4

Create an empty file /etc/hostname.bge0

# touch /etc/hostname.bge0

This will auto configure for all the above entries upon reboot so you do not need to do "route -p add default 192.168.1.1".

Now either reboot or enter:

# route -p add default 192.168.1.1

Hope this helps.

Paul

  • Re: WDS + WPA + RADIUS problem
    ... dive into the router from a telnet or SSH session ... command line or menu driven reboot. ... range of power supply voltages. ... but haven't spoken to client this morning to ascertain). ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: XPS410 onboard NIC failure - Solution found
    ... What fixed it was simply powering down the router. ... Connection and it says the device is working properly. ... Or the connection test may fail ... if the simple reboot made it work. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: XPS410 onboard NIC failure - Solution found
    ... What fixed it was simply powering down the router. ... Connection and it says the device is working properly. ... Or the connection test may fail ... if the simple reboot made it work. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Whats the story with NETGEAR FVS328?
    ... It and the Windows O/S are reliable enough if you know how to configure them ... > reboot the unit. ... > that no one in my home as attempted to connect to this router via the ... then the NAT router is good enough for home usage. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Force router IP assignments on LAN
    ... I have assigned the router the IP 10.10.10.1, ... > makes the assignment of PC IPs -- as far as I can see -- by which PC ... regardless of which PC connects first? ...