Re: importing a 8 disk pool crashes Solaris 10

hume.spamfilter@xxxxxxx wrote:
jzambon <john.zambon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
He might be abrasive, but he brings up some good points. This thread
is a good example of mature features needed in ZFS.

Which features? The OP is running into a bug. An *acknowledged* bug,
one that's been fixed in the new Solaris but not backported to older
releases.

great bug there "shit, your data is gone, sorry".

He's *not* saying "it's ridiculous that this flaw doesn't have a patch
already", a statement I'd agree with.

He *might* be trying to say "if you were using vxfs you wouldn't have run
into this problem", a statement that isn't helpful but also is probably
factually true.

But what he's actually saying, in this thread and others, is "ZFS sucks
and anyone who uses it is an idiot". A statement that is both unhelpful

Outside some limited uses, it really does suck, and you better have some
good backups before you rely on it.

and not notable for its cogency. He doesn't post as someone who dislikes
the features of ZFS and has a preferred replacement, he posts as someone
who actively hates a storage software and is profoundly threatened by it.

I just hate stuff that plain out doesn't work, and the sheep that keep
bleeting about how great something is when it isn't.

If you really want to step things up, you can share for us the latest bug
in storage foundation that ends up in "whoops, all your data is gone,
maybe you need to reinstall your OS".

In case you forgot already, we're talking unix here, not some windows box.

  • Re: importing a 8 disk pool crashes Solaris 10
    ... is a good example of mature features needed in ZFS. ... The OP is running into a bug. ... But what he's actually saying, in this thread and others, is "ZFS sucks ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • [ANNOUNCE] Tk-JComboBox-1.11
    ... JComboBox is a Combo Box implementation that combines several features of the various Combo Box implementations available for Perl/Tk and attempts to provide a solution that should cover the majority of your Combo Box needs. ... Bug: incorrect behavior when state is disabled twice in a row. ... a bug in the DisableControls method, ...
    (comp.lang.perl.tk)
  • Re: MS AntiSypware bug?
    ... It is a known bug. ... Weatherbug/AOL (only advanced features are spyware) ... 'Results of scan' popup can't be disabled. ... Windows Explorer menu item missing (Conflict caused by ATI Mulltimedia DAO ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: VS.NET 2005
    ... >> bugs.You should download the beta and give it a try. ... >> find one or two new little features. ... Service packs are nice, but pre-2005 I have to say they are less relevent. ... As I said, the only major bug I know of in VS2003 is the file locking bug, ...
  • Re: Help with filing a [maybe] ZFS/mmap bug.
    ... I have what I think is a ZFS related bug. ... Xinsert_bytes(int fd, unsigned int size, unsigned int offset) ...
    (freebsd-stable)