about root gui shell solaris 11 express

I'm sure I will be told not to do this, but I do find it more
convenient to run as root for lots of things.

This is a home setup, solaris 11 express running on Vbox with win 7
(64bit) as host. I downloaded the vm appliance offered on oracle web
pages. The zones appliance.

I'll say too that none of my data is worth money, no commerce is
involved in my usage and no other (other than myself) people are going
to experience any problems from any screw ups I might make.

I've made root an account rather than a role with:
`rolemod -k type=normal root'

However I still cannot ssh into that vm as root. Or ssh to root when
on the machine as USER.

I've set /etc/ssh/sshd.config to allow root logins with:

PermitRootLogin yes

But still ssh connections as root are rejected.

I'd like to be able to start an X session as root too. When I try
that, I get some ancient X desktop rather than the gnome desktop user
can log into.

  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... Also, what exactly did the history file show, can you paste it into a mail ... > First let me say I'm a security novice. ... > been unsuccessful in getting root back. ... > via ssh but you could su in once logged in as one of three users. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Linux hacked
    ... To find out what kernel version you are running, type "uname -a" without ... > been unsuccessful in getting root back. ... > via ssh but you could su in once logged in as one of three users. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... hack the box, pull the drive and save it. ... Use the newest versions of Gentoo, Apache, SSH, PHP and Squirl Mail. ... been unsuccessful in getting root back. ... I found a hidden directory /var/tmp/.tmp that has a bunch of directories ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... Was any of the sites running a php nuke or another portal or system that is vuln ... been able to use that with a locla root exploit to gain root on the machine. ... > hack the box, pull the drive and save it. ... > Use the newest versions of Gentoo, Apache, SSH, PHP and Squirl Mail. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: X11Forwarding, ssh -X, and /bin/su
    ... ]>but I'm not really tunneled using ssh then, ... ]connecting to the X server and have the home directory NFS-mounted ... ](unless you leave root unmapped over NFS, ... ]root-readable place and set the environment $XAUTHORITY variable ...
    (comp.security.ssh)