Re: about root gui shell solaris 11 express

Harry Putnam <reader@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm sure I will be told not to do this, but I do find it more
convenient to run as root for lots of things.

You're right. Don't do this. I don't care how unimportant your box is,
sloppy behaviour is still sloppy behaviour.

Also, don't allow ssh as root.

I'd like to be able to start an X session as root too. When I try
that, I get some ancient X desktop rather than the gnome desktop user
can log into.

Don't do this either.

HOWEVER...

1) Check your sshd_config
2) You can change your root GUI from the login screen.
3) use ssh -vv to get some debugging information.
4) STOP BEING SLOPPY!

Colin

  • Re: Ps(1) Restricting Command Lines
    ... >other than root then I don't see the command-args for other people's ... I guess my original statement was a little sloppy. ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... Also, what exactly did the history file show, can you paste it into a mail ... > First let me say I'm a security novice. ... > been unsuccessful in getting root back. ... > via ssh but you could su in once logged in as one of three users. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Linux hacked
    ... To find out what kernel version you are running, type "uname -a" without ... > been unsuccessful in getting root back. ... > via ssh but you could su in once logged in as one of three users. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: X11Forwarding, ssh -X, and /bin/su
    ... ]>but I'm not really tunneled using ssh then, ... ]connecting to the X server and have the home directory NFS-mounted ... ](unless you leave root unmapped over NFS, ... ]root-readable place and set the environment $XAUTHORITY variable ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... hack the box, pull the drive and save it. ... Use the newest versions of Gentoo, Apache, SSH, PHP and Squirl Mail. ... been unsuccessful in getting root back. ... I found a hidden directory /var/tmp/.tmp that has a bunch of directories ...
    (Security-Basics)