Re: about root gui shell solaris 11 express

Harry Putnam <reader@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm sure I will be told not to do this, but I do find it more
convenient to run as root for lots of things.

You're right. Don't do this. I don't care how unimportant your box is,
sloppy behaviour is still sloppy behaviour.

Also, don't allow ssh as root.

I'd like to be able to start an X session as root too. When I try
that, I get some ancient X desktop rather than the gnome desktop user
can log into.

Don't do this either.

HOWEVER...

1) Check your sshd_config
2) You can change your root GUI from the login screen.
3) use ssh -vv to get some debugging information.
4) STOP BEING SLOPPY!

Colin

  • Re: Ps(1) Restricting Command Lines
    ... >other than root then I don't see the command-args for other people's ... I guess my original statement was a little sloppy. ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... Also, what exactly did the history file show, can you paste it into a mail ... > First let me say I'm a security novice. ... > been unsuccessful in getting root back. ... > via ssh but you could su in once logged in as one of three users. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Linux hacked
    ... To find out what kernel version you are running, type "uname -a" without ... > been unsuccessful in getting root back. ... > via ssh but you could su in once logged in as one of three users. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... Was any of the sites running a php nuke or another portal or system that is vuln ... been able to use that with a locla root exploit to gain root on the machine. ... > hack the box, pull the drive and save it. ... > Use the newest versions of Gentoo, Apache, SSH, PHP and Squirl Mail. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: X11Forwarding, ssh -X, and /bin/su
    ... ]>but I'm not really tunneled using ssh then, ... ]connecting to the X server and have the home directory NFS-mounted ... ](unless you leave root unmapped over NFS, ... ]root-readable place and set the environment $XAUTHORITY variable ...
    (comp.security.ssh)