Re: about root gui shell solaris 11 express

groenvel@xxxxxxxxxxx (John D Groenveld) writes:

In article <8739icke9q.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
Harry Putnam <reader@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Still when I try to ssh in as root my passwd is never excepted.
The same passwd works for `su -' so I know I'm entering the right
passwd.

If you edit /etc/default/login to allow remote root logins per login(1)
and enable the telnet service, then can you login as root via telnet?
$ telnet localhost

Apparently not:

reader > telnet localhost
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to solaris11.local.lan.
Escape character is '^]'.
login: root
Password:
Login incorrect
Connection to solaris11.local.lan closed by foreign host.

In fact, even a `su -' shows some kind of problem:

reader > su -
Password:
Oracle Corporation SunOS 5.11 snv_151a November 2010
You have mail.
root@solaris:~# Error: no display specified

At that point the shell hangs until I hit ^c, then it works normally.
.