Re: about root gui shell solaris 11 express

groenvel@xxxxxxxxxxx (John D Groenveld) writes:

In article <8739icke9q.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
Harry Putnam <reader@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Still when I try to ssh in as root my passwd is never excepted.
The same passwd works for `su -' so I know I'm entering the right
passwd.

If you edit /etc/default/login to allow remote root logins per login(1)
and enable the telnet service, then can you login as root via telnet?
$ telnet localhost

Apparently not:

reader > telnet localhost
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to solaris11.local.lan.
Escape character is '^]'.
login: root
Password:
Login incorrect
Connection to solaris11.local.lan closed by foreign host.

In fact, even a `su -' shows some kind of problem:

reader > su -
Password:
Oracle Corporation SunOS 5.11 snv_151a November 2010
You have mail.
root@solaris:~# Error: no display specified

At that point the shell hangs until I hit ^c, then it works normally.

  • Re: logon failed
    ... John A. (US SSA baesystems.com> ... > The only user that works is the root. ... >> same password at the login as that at the passwd ... but the login kept failing. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Leopard Screen Sharing
    ... I don't really want to leave root enabled, but does that help figure out ... if you decide to enable direct root login: ... Perhaps confirmation (admin passwd) is needed, ... the administrator account. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: I/O Errot, dev 03:05 (hda), sector 3932268
    ... >> Are you saying that you were presented with a text login passwd prompt? ... >> root passwd and fix it, ... > I did get the cntl-D prompt annd tried to login and fix it. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: password
    ... To log in as root, ... >> hello ive got a problem login to freebsd. ... passwd: updating the database... ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: root password problem
    ... > is it possible you did something that could have corrupted the passwd file ... > last option, boot into single user mode, reset passwd for root and see if a) ... > accounts I created but not with the root account anymore. ... Note also that pam and login can limit login access. ...
    (Fedora)