Wall St Journal Thurs 31may12 pg B1: amazing article on Oracle * HP battle
- From: dkcombs@xxxxxxxxx (David Combs)
- Date: 5 Jun 2012 17:22:30 -0400
First, if anyone has on-line access to it, maybe post it
here (I get only the paper version).
(Then, recall that #2 guy at Oracle used to work for HP, until
he got fired or something, then went to Oracle.)
The battle is about the Itanium chips that HP uses in its servers.
Oracle says that it will no longer produce Oracle versions
for that chip. Which should really harm HP server sales.
Oracle says it hears that Intel is going to dump that chip.
HP likes the chip, has paid, I believe, hundreds of millions
to Intel to keep them upgrading it.
This is turning into a REALLY nasty fight. In court.
There's a lot more in the article than I've summarized
here. Really is quite interesting, especially for those
of us who like Sparc and zfs.
Again, maybe someone can post it here for those few of
us still in this group. WELL worth reading!
- Prev by Date: Re: extracting URLs and IPs from zonefiles - easily :-)
- Next by Date: Re: Wall St Journal Thurs 31may12 pg B1: amazing article on Oracle * HP battle
- Previous by thread: copy solaris 11 system disk files... using tar?
- Next by thread: Re: Wall St Journal Thurs 31may12 pg B1: amazing article on Oracle * HP battle